Wednesday, May 5, 2010

And I said I'd be better at posting . . .

Oh well! Life gets so busy sometimes. Our vegetable garden is in. We had a big pile of topsoil in one corner and Taryn was "helping" by digging in the pile. I could hear her talking and singing on the other side of the pile so I knew she was okay. But then Ryan walked out and yelled, "Taryn! What are you doing?" Apparently the dirt felt neat between her toes without her boots on so she just took the rest of her clothes off too!

Jenna prefers to poop on the potty. She's eight months old. Unbelievable. But seriously, she just won't go in a diaper. She absolutely would not settle down tonight and I finally sat her on the potty, she pooped. Then she peed. She got so tickled by the sound of her pee hitting the water that she had a fit of giggles. It's kind of funny because she's so little and while she can sit by herself, she has no idea about balance and falling off. Her tummy goes almost down to her little knees and her tiny feet and toes stick straight out barely to the edge of the big seat (she uses a potty seat).

Taryn is an extraordinary young lady, but sometimes I just don't know how to be the mom that she needs. That is really difficult for me. At home she is so verbal and outgoing. She plays all kinds of pretend games and talks nonstop. She loves to pretend cook and bake and I sit at the table while she cooks while greeting her imaginary friends as they show up. There is so much expression in her voice and body language. Watching her I'm amazed at how advanced she is. Then we go out in a group. Maybe to church, sports practice, the park, anywhere really. She becomes quiet, clingy, and won't interact or make eye contact. Most of the time she warms up to some degree. But sometimes she insists on having me right by her and then I get frustrated. I know she is capable so what's holding her back? I always wonder if it's something I've done wrong. Did I shelter her too much? Maybe. Have I ever deserted her? Not to my knowledge, but her perspective may be different. She always worries about being left. I just don't understand and I want to make it better, to fix it, but I don't know how. I try to remind myself that she has to take in a situation or experience before she will participate. But how long to I let her sit and watch? I just want to get it right for her. I want her to learn to cope with and enjoy new experiences. I want it all to be okay for her. Not okay, I want life to be great for her. I don't want her reticence or social cautiousness to hold her back. I guess only time will tell.

Anyway . . . the other day Taryn told me that she needed two ice creams for dessert. Her reasoning . . . she has two legs and two arms so of course she needs two ice creams!

Jenna wants to crawl, but keeps face planting. She can sit up on her own from lying down and scoots around on her bottom. She also pushes herself backwards when on her tummy. She loves to eat and is just happy all the time. And she LOVES her big sister!

I'm blessed with my girls, my husband, and my little farm. It's never boring around here!

1 comment:

  1. I think you are a wonderful mom and Taryn's caution in social situations is just part of her nature. She will get more and more comfortable - maybe from watching Jenna. I think she will be a little social butterfly :) By the way, I love the pink on brown but I can't read the purple words.

    ReplyDelete